The Common Core has been on the agenda of schools and parents across the country for quite some time. And it’s still picking up more interest each day, as new facts are being revealed. Parents of several school districts (E. Rockaway, Lynbrook, Malverne, Valley Stream) teamed up and are very excited to be able to invite all residents to an informative meeting about the Common Core Initiative. The meeting takes place at HERJC in East Rockaway and features speakers who were asking questions as soon as the “Initiative” was imposed on the school districts by the NYS Education Department.
After finding out that districts didn’t have a unified interpretation nor implementation of the mandated changes, the speakers dedicated tremendous amount of time to dig into the information the federal and state departments of education offered. They’ll be able to answer many questions about new developments. For example, the inBloom/portal/data mining issue is still in development, as the parent portals are being rolled out this fall and winter.
The attendees will learn:
- the original intentions of the Initiative and how it got hijacked by special interests groups,
- the Initiative concerns all children from pre-K to 20 years of age (P20), including those attending private or parochial schools, or who are being home-schooled,
- the districts don’t jeopardize funds, if 95% of students don’t take tests,
- the toll the high-stakes testing takes on children,
- the tax burden is going to be higher after the Initiative is implemented.
The flyer reveals who the speakers are (visit their blogs, sites) and details about location, date, and time of the meeting. Please, share with friends and learn the Initiative’s effects on your community.